Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sneaking Around Invest Malaysia

Funnily enough, I didn’t get to attend any of the headlining events at the annual Invest Malaysia event yesterday (the PM’s keynote, Pemandu CEO Idris Jala). In fact, this is one event I’ve rarely attended – the audience is primarily analysts, fund managers and the media, and the message is generally tailored to foreigners. I can only recall one other time I’d been there, and that was over a decade ago.

This year, ironically, I got roped in not as a participant but as a presenter. Don’t bother trying to look me up though, we weren’t on the official program – it was a private presentation to a small group of fund managers from China. As I understand it, EPF did the same thing for this group earlier in the day.

I did my damnedest to “sell” Malaysia; not hard with all the foreign interest these days. The timing could of course have been better, the market being what it is right now. But I think that we’re really seeing foreign portfolio investors start taking the Malaysian market more seriously.

Whether that’s good or bad is of course another question.

No comments:

Post a Comment